Once upon a time...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I DID IT!!!!!


So, It all started in 2002 when I was working at the world health club in Edmonton. One of my fellow personal trainers, Leanna Martens was a fitness competitior. She said I should give it a go and since then I have wanted to compete.
I started off at 140 lbs on May 18th 2006. The photos were taken on Nov. 18th 2006, 6 months later at 107 lbs. (with water in me (115 lbs probably)
Why do it?
Several reasons....
1. I wanted to prove to everyone that it doesn't matter where you start with your fitness, ANYONE can get into their best shape. I met a girl who had started off over 100 lbs over weight and competed looking great. also a 75 lb weight loss. I also know of a girl named Barbie and she has no arms who has competed in fitness. I feel there is no excuse good enough that says you can't get into shape.
2. I always wanted to perform a routine on stage, I like performing.
3. I wanted to see how disciplined I could be with my food. Yup It was tough. If I could do that than I would knew that I could accomplish absolutely anything.
4. I wanted to learn more about the sport of competitive fitness.
5. I never wanted to say if only I had given it a shot

6. When I got the idea in my head I couldn't let it go. It took 4 years to get around to it, but still. I started it so I had to finish it.
7. I wanted to know What I'd look like in the best shape of my life.
Iit was a very real experience. I learned a great deal about myself and I would like to do it again. However there are other things I want to focus on too. For now I will stay in "good" shape not "excellent "shape (It is very time consuming).
Beleive me there were some times when I sure didn't feel like getting up at 4:30am to workout or spend my night prepping my meals or when I really wanted to eat the peanutbutter but couldn't. The bruises, sprains headaches (learning gynastics) and stinky laundry was all worth it.
My goal was just to do the competition without landing on my face. I am not a very competitive person by nature so I didn't care what I placed I just wanted to look good enough to feel confident in a bikini (very small one I might say) in front of 600 people. Then as I got closer to the show, I thought hey I want to be in the top 5. I was thrilled to place 4th in my class.

It Has been a long time since then and Many obstacles have come my way since. Mainly I had to learn how to eat normally again, which for me was pretty tough. Many people ask If I'll do it again. I would like to but not this year. And it is very time consuming and self-preoccupying. Many competitors suffer from a poor social life. I will do it again I'm sure but ot for a while.







2 Comments:

  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Zaak said…

    Big Congrats Salomé! Your body looks brown, and hard. Work it!

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Debby said…

    I was fortuate to be present for the competition. I was so inspired! I appreciate your advice to use more weights...and it inspired me to work out more....I'm sure I'd be 150 pounds at 4'11" if I didnt go to the gym...I love to eat and I do love my wine. So, thanks Sal for inspiring me and I'm sure many others!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home